Stephen Ministry congregations equip and empower lay caregivers to provide high-quality, confidential, Christ-centered care to people who are hurting.
Stephen Leaders establish and direct the ministry by building awareness for the program. Recruit and train lay people to become Stephen Ministers. Meet with potential care receives to assess their needs. Match care receivers with a Stephen Minister and Provide Stephen Ministers with ongoing supervision and continuing education.
Stephen Ministers are congregation members trained by Stephen Leaders to offer high-quality one-to-one Christian care to people going through a tough time. They receive 50 hours of training before being matched with a care receiver. They meet with their care receiver once a week for about an hour. Stephen Ministers attend supervision and continuing education twice a month.
Care Receivers are people who receive care from a trained Stephen Minister. These are people struggling through a difficult time in their life—experiencing grief, divorce, job loss, chronic or terminal illness, or some other life crises. Relationships between a care receiver and a Stephen Minister are confidential with women being matched to women and men to men. If a care receiver’s needs exceed what a Stephen Minister can provide, the Stephen Minister team makes a referral to an appropriate mental health professional or other community resource.
Stephen Ministry Time Line
- Spring of 2017—Church council enrolls the congregation in Stephen Ministry
- July—Select the Stephen Leader Team
- August—Stephen Leaders attend Leader Training Course
- September—Commission Stephen Leader team
- September/November--Recruit Stephen Ministers
- November 1st—Stephen Minister Application deadline
- November-December—Interview Stephen Minister candidates
- January 2018—Stephen Minister training classes begin
- March---Referrals for possible care receivers
- March—Commission Stephen Ministers
- April—Match Stephen Ministers with a Care Receiver
- April/Dec—Twice monthly Supervision group meetings
For more information contact your Stephen Leader Team
Pastor Lynne Ogren; Roger Woltermann; Kris Descheemaeker